Wednesday 18 July 2012

St Andrew's Suspension Bridge

So the wandering originally started as just wandering - slow paced, aimless and wistful.  During my wandering I started to come across things that I thought looked nice or interesting so I would go back the next day or later that week with my camera and photograph it.  Then the wandering turned into a routine, I try to wander everyday.

I have three types of walks currently
  1. totally lazy 
  2. aye not bad 
  3. right BIG walk 
My aye not bad walk is from my home, through the Gorbals to St Andrew's Suspension Bridge and back home through Glasgow Green.

This iron bridge is a bit of a favourite of mine both for the views of the Clyde it affords you and it's vibrant blue and gold colours.

View of the bridge looking towards Glasgow Green

The bridge was designed and completed in 1856 by engineer Neil Robson.  It was originally built to provide a safe passage for local workers who had previously relied on a ferry to get them to a factory in Hutchesontown. 


The original timber decking was replaced in 1997 and the bridge was repainted in 2005.  The bridge has four Corinthian columns. 

One of the four columns - I love the detail and colours!
As you come to the end of the bridge on the Glasgow Green side there is the Ben and Sarah Parsonage gate with a inscription in stone,

“A shy, unassuming boatman who single-handedly rescued
more people from drowning than any man in Britain.” (Daily
Record, 2 October 1979).

This is a dedication to Ben Parsonage, Officer of the Glasgow Humane Society from 1928 to 1979.  The Glasgow Humane Society was set up in 1790 with a £200 legacy from local merchant James Coulter for the “prevention, rescue and recovery” of people on the Clyde and the city’s waterways.

Near the bridge on either side of the river are two rowing clubs and it is enormous fun watching rowers glide under the bridge.  I just like to stand on it and look towards the city with all it's bustle.

1 comment:

  1. Super cool bridge! I have the Wheeling Island Suspension Bridge near me, which is the oldest continuously used suspension bridge either in the US or the world...not quite sure. Nowhere near as pretty as your bridge though!!

    ReplyDelete